Make a cow DIY craft using recycled paper plates. Teach your kids about animals and the sounds they produce. Have fun in making a mini barn using interesting handicrafts of different animals.
3-5 years old up to 8
- This DIY craft is suitable for young children in preschool and early grade school.
Materials and Tools
- 1 recycled paper plate
- 1 pair of googly eyes
- Pink art paper
- Brown art paper
Take out an unused paper plate. You will be using the back part only for the cow’s head.
Trace and cut out the following shapes:
- 1 oblong using the pink art paper. Size should be almost half of the size of the plate’s inner circle.
- 2 oblongs using the brown art paper. You will use this for the ears so make it more elongated.
Glue the cow together in the following order:
- Glue the pair of googly eyes on the upper part of the face
- Glue the mouth on to the face, just below the eyes
Staple the pair of brown ears on opposite sides (left, right) on top of the plate so it does not fall off.
Have your kids design the cow’s face using a marker
- Draw the mouth and nose on the pink paper cut-out
Do a little show and tell after every artwork with your kids. It can help enhance their speaking skills and confidence.
More Fun Ideas and Expansions
Create your own DIY cow paper craft with these expanded fun ideas:
- Print a cartoon template for the cow and do a simple cut and paste.
- Make your handicraft interesting by using movable hands, feet and mouth.
- Use pins to put stick the hands and feet and make them movable.