Cut and paste different shapes to form a happy sunflower! Develop your kids’ small motor skills by guiding them in drawing and cutting papers. Take them out to the garden to explore and make an art from whatever they find fascinating from nature.
1 hour 30 minutes
3 – 8 years
- This DIY craft is suitable for kids in pre-school up to grade school.
Materials and Tools
- White poster paper (or bond paper)
- Yellow art paper
- Green art paper
- Other colors of art paper
- Unused yellow cupcake paper cup
- Green and yellow markers
Trace and cut the following shapes:
- 6 sunflower petals using the yellow art paper
- 2 slim and long green leaves
- 1 long slim stem using the green art paper
- Small butterflies of different colors
Glue the sunflower together in the following order:
- Paste the green stem on the lower middle part of the canvass.
- Paste the sunflower leaves at the top forming a circle. Leave a round space in the middle for the cupcake paper.
- Paste the cupcake paper on top.
- Paste the green leaves on each side of the stem.
- Paste the butterflies around your finished sunflower.
Draw some grass at the bottom of the sunflower using a green marker.
Draw a small sun on the upper right of corner of the canvass.
More Fun Ideas and Expansions
Create your own DIY sunflower paper crafts with these expanded fun ideas:
- Add clouds, flowers, trees and other designs around the sunflower.
- Create a bigger and more defined paper sunflower using paper plates!
- Use printed drawings of butterflies and other insects to cut and paste into the artwork.