Make cute and colorful chicken balloons! Share the fun in blowing and popping them. Try this simple “blow-cut-paste” activity for your kids. Teach them basic shapes and colors through this craft.
3 – 8 years old. This DIY craft is suitable for young children from preschool up to early grade school.
Materials and Tools
- Art papers (Colours: red, orange and black)
- Balloons of different sizes & colours
Trace and cut out the following shapes:
- Chicken legs using the orange art paper. Draw & cut in pairs.
- Beaks in oblong and triangles.
- How to make foldable beaks: Fold a piece of orange art paper. Draw an oblong/triangle shape from the edge and cut. This should give you foldable beaks to glue on the balloon
- Round eyes using the black art paper. Draw & cut in pairs.
- Chicken comb using the red art paper.
Blow up the balloons. Be careful with the ones that pop as it may surprise your kids.
Glue your chicks together in the following order:
- The pair of eyes glued on the upper part of the face
- The beak in the middle just below the eyes
- The legs at the bottom of the balloon
- The comb on top of the balloon
Once everything is in place, tie strings on the edge of the balloon. Attach your chicken balloons to a stick.
Do a little puppet show starring the mother hen and her cute little chicks. Show and tell is helpful to enhance your kids’ speaking skills and confidence.
More Fun Ideas and Expansions
Create your own DIY balloon crafts with these expanded fun ideas:
- Use the chicken balloons as lanterns and hang them in your children’s bedroom
- You can add colourful balloon eggs for a complete DIY craft in Easter
- Use paint instead of art paper cut-outs to design the balloons
- Try other animal balloon crafts such as penguins or owls